Monday, July 27, 2015

Dublin - Ireland

I'm counting the days for my next holidays in September but those won't be my last holidays of the year. In November I'll travel again and I'll go to Ireland. I doubt I'll get such a blue and clear sky but I might get lucky!! 
Christ Church Cathedral will be one of the monuments I'll visit in Dublin but my travel plans include other places and monuments nearby. 
Heidi has been to Dublin last June for a postcrossing meeting. Who knows, maybe I'll get to meet some postcrossers there too. 

© Liam Blake
Standing on high ground in the oldest part of Dublin, Christ Church Cathedral is one of the city's finest historic buildings. Part of the Anglican Church of Ireland, the cathedral is the mother church for the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough.
The first Christianized Danish king, Sitric (Sigtryggr Silkbeard), built a wooden church at this site in 1038. On the brow of a hill inside the city walls, it was the most commanding position in Dublin. The present stone cathedral was begun in 1172 after the conquest of Dublin by Strongbow (a.k.a. Richard de Clare), a Norman baron. Construction continued well into the 13th century, so a transition from Norman to Early English Gothic styles can be seen in the architecture.
The cathedral's vault collapsed in 1562, bringing down the south side of the nave with it. It was rebuilt in the 17th century.
Funded by the distiller Henry Roe, the cathedral was heavily restored by architect G. E. Street in 1871-78. As with many Victorian renovations, the work was important for preserving the ancient building but also robbed the cathedral of much of its medieval character. The exterior was entirely refaced and the interior was fully renovated in a Victorian Neo-Gothic style. Street also rebuilt the tower and added external buttresses. - in: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ireland/dublin-christ-church-cathedral

No comments: